Breast Cancer Recurrence
Risk of recurrence is routinely assessed by clinicians to understand prognosis and direct treatment decisions for each patient diagnosed with eBC.1,2
References: 1, 2, 3 and 4
Early recurrence vs. late recurrence. 2, 5, 6
References: 2, 4, and 6
Treatment recommendations depend on the risk of recurrence. 7-10
References: 7, 8, 9, and 10
The intent of eBC treatment is curative, but the risk of recurrence remains a significant problem. 11
References: 11,12, and 13
CT, chemotherapy; eBC, early breast cancer; ET, endocrine therapy; gBRCA, germline breast cancer gene; HER2, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2; HR, hormone receptor; mBC, metastatic breast cancer; RT, radiation therapy
- Canadian Cancer Society. Risk of recurrence after surgery and additional treatments. Assessed on April 14, 2023. Available at: https://cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-types/breast/treatment/risk-of-breast-cancer-recurrence-and-adjuvant-therapy.
- Wangchinda P, Ithimakin S. Factors that predict recurrence later than 5 years after initial treatment in operable breast cancer. World J Surg Oncol. 2016;14(1):223.
- Friberg S, Nyström A. Cancer Metastases: Early Dissemination and Late Recurrences. Cancer Growth Metastasis. 2015;8:43-49.
- Chew HK. Adjuvant therapy for breast cancer: who should get what. West J Med. 2001;174(4):284-287.
- Gomis RR, Gawrzak S. Tumor cell dormancy. Mol Oncol. 2017;11(1):62-78.
- American Cancer Society (ACS). Treating Breast Cancer. Atlanta, GA: January 2023:1-115.
- Cardoso F, Kyriakides S, Ohno S, et al. Early breast cancer: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up†. Ann Oncol. 2019;30(8):1194-1220.
- European Medicines Agency. Verzenios Summary of opinion1 (post authorisation). February 24 2022.
- AstraZeneca. Press release. August 4, 2022.
- Gradishar WJ, Moran MS, Abraham J et al. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines®). Breast Cancer. V.4.2023. National Comprehensive Cancer Network® (NCCN®). March 2023:1-256.
- Scharl A, Kühn T, Papathemelis T, et al. The Right Treatment for the Right Patient - Personalised Treatment of Breast Cancer. Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd. 2015;75(7):683-691.
- Pan H, Gray R, Braybrooke J, et al. 20-year risks of breast-cancer recurrence after stopping endocrine therapy at 5 Years. N Engl J Med. 2017;377(19):1836-1846.
- Pan H, Gray R, Braybrooke J, et al. 20-year risks of breast-cancer recurrence after stopping endocrine therapy at 5 Years. N Engl J Med. 2017;377(19)(suppl):1-40.